The government has cancelled the 2021 GCSE summer exams and teacher assessed grades are being given to students that attend a college or school instead. GCSE grades are important for many things such as employment, A levels and University. Unfortunately, if you don’t attend either of these establishments and you are an adult learner, not in mainstream school or homeschooled then you won’t obtain a teacher assessed grade from a school or college since you are not connected to one. Below should help explain more about teacher assessed grades and any other qualifications that are equivalent to GCSEs.

Teacher assessed grades for those in schools and colleges

The mock exams and any work that you are still doing is vital to your results, therefore you should try your best. There are external controlled assessments that you can take to help with your teacher assessed grade. The results of these assessments will be sent to your college or school to help provide evidence to increase your grade. MME is a company that offers controlled assessments for GCSE maths exams to people.

GCSE Exams and GCSE resits

The iGCSE qualifications and GCSE November 2021 resit exams have not been cancelled. You can book through MME as an external candidate for the iGCSE qualification, their number is 020 3633 5145 and they can book you in. They also have a GCSE maths retake page with further information about the retake exams.

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates

If you are not connected with a centre such as a school or college, MME has worked hard with GCSE examiners to help provide you with a GCSE grade this summer. They have sorted out a series of assessments you can take which will provide you with a GCSE grade. You can book with MME on their  GCSE maths controlled assessment page.

Alternatives to GCSE exams and teacher assessed grades

GCSE isn’t the only qualification that is accepted by institutions, there are equivalent qualifications that you can obtain. A phrase that is commonly used is ‘Give your GCSE or GCSE equivalent qualifications‘ when applying for a job or University. A word that is often used when referring to GCSE equivalent qualifications is functional skills. A level 2 functional skills qualification is accepted by Universities and employers in place of a GCSE grade C/level 4. Below is more information about this qualification that could be considered instead of a GCSE:

Nurses and Trainee Teachers

Functional skills and GCSEs are not the only qualifications you can acquire, there are GCSE equivalency tests. This qualification is normally taken by trainee teachers and nurses. This qualification however isn’t accepted universally, therefore you need to see if your course provider or employer accepts it before you go ahead and book this qualification. SCITT and training providers would prefer this qualification over functional skills, meaning that GCSE equivalency tests are popular amongst trainee teachers.